Monday, April 1, 2013

Unicorn Chumps UPDATE on the Born Free 5 Reject Builder Build Builds...

Unicorns Chump UPDATES for April Fools Day
As you may or may not know, we've invited a few select builders to build a Unicorn Chumpion bike that will be displayed in the Double-Wide Lady Hump and Superfriends Booth at Born Free 5. Why? Why the hell not??? So here's an April update on three (3) of the builders builds...


:::UNICORNS CHUMP BUILDER GABE::: 
Hey Allen,
progress has been slow lately ....but the pipes are done, ignition is in, valves adjusted , oil tank powder coated black, battery installed, And it is running ......still have to tune it, finish the ass end , finish wiring the lights, finish the brakes , and paint it.
Thanks man,
Gabe




:::UNICORNS CHUMP BUILDER LEE HERRICK UPDATE:::

Finished wiring the little '71 triumph TR6 today (wires routed inside the frame). Where the wires could not be run inside the frame, I welded steel tubing to the frame so wires would be out of site. The few places where wires had to be exposed, they are enclosed inside the mercedes rubber coated woven polyester wrap, and all ends and connections are soldered. Where the crimp on ends were used, they were crimped, then soldered, and insulated with heat shrink tubing.  . Frame is wrapped in foam so I do not ding the new paint installing engine and trans... Paint is candy orange copper pigment mixed into a satin finish clear and shot over a non metallic brilliant silver. No glitter, no flash...all business and 100% rideable. Any washing can be done with a power washer, and no polishing is necessary. 
Rear section of the frame is all hand made to use a 40s triumph mark 1 sprung hub. No kit is made to use a sprung hub with an OIF chassis, and no axle plates are made with provisions for the sprung hub anchor, so all that had to be custom milled.  Engine and trans are completely rebuilt. No chrome. All raw finish aluminum, with black barrels. Wheels were left the raw finish aluminum hubs, with the outer rims done in high gloss black. Seat is hand made for the bike, pipes were hand made and have been finished in matte silver ceramic coating. All exposed fasteners on the frame are non polished stainless steel acorn nuts to cap studs, which means that all the whitworth bolts had to be replaced, and the holes retapped to UNF threads or heli-coiled for standard American course thread fasteners. The front end remained basically stock, even utilizing the factory headlight bucket (with a halogen bulb installed). I did switch to a set of 1979 kawasaki 340 invader snow mobile handle bars. I used norton clutch and brake levers, with the choke lever on the perch for the front brake lever. The carb is a new 930 amal, with hardened slide, and I just like the look of the old choke lever, so I went with it. 
transmission casing was remachined to allow clearance for an X ring drive chain.  
Tomorrow and Monday I am doing assembly. Bike will be rolling again Tuesday, and should have all the little bugs worked out by the end of the week. 

I know the sprung hub is unpopular, but I live in the mountains, 30 miles from town. The roads have been hammered by snow plows, and many are not paved. The sprung hub is more practical then a low slung chopper...and I believe the best custom is always the one that can be ridden regularly. I wanted something that could be used daily, and would be equally at home splitting lanes as cruising country roads. ...Plus Fonzie's scrambler had a sprung hub, and I always thought that bike was cool (who didn't?)



Ok, I wanted the bike to be done by now, but my tires have not arrived (19 inch front and rear)... anyway, here is a little better update on the progress of the triumph. as soon as I have tires in my grubby little hands, the bike is a roller. I am kind of proud of the exhaust. I had to get a little creative to get the pipes to flow with the shape of the frame...and there are baffles inside them
Lee Herrick

:::LAWNDALE LARRY UPDATE:::
Here is the latest on my Unicorn chump project.....  Originally I was going to use a '59
Pan swinger frame & build my own crazy frank fender, But instead I had San Fernando Jay
build Me a custom rigid single looper (my alltime favorite style of frame).
I went with 1 " up on the neck, & 3/4" out, & 30 degrees of rake.  I have a Harman Girder
that I have owned for several years now & wanted to use it on this project, & after bolting
the Girder on, the frame sits dead level.  ground clearance is 4.375".  That's about as low
as I would want, Actually I was hoping for about 5.5" at the front with a 70's style (Nor-Cal)
 28 degrees.  A stock neck would have acomplished this, But I had to go up 1" on the neck in order for the rear cylinder panhead rocker box to clear the "Motorshop" style backbone curve. It barely cleared it by 1/4"!  I need to modify the motor mount bracket as I am pretty sure that Jay accidentally welded it on backwards as It was hitting the rear rocker box, I gound it down somewhat so I could stuff the motor into the frame,  I am just going to remove it completely & reweld another one in.  I got my wheels laced up & mounted,  16"rear. 21" front.  I kind of wish I went with a 23" on the front, Think It would look killer! Oh well,  maybe later on down the look (front end sitting higher than rear), But I would need to modify & derake the trees to about road I'll do that.  I almost went with a spooly hub on the front, But Decided not to sacrifice safety for coolness factor.  Besides, I like tearing up mountain roads & I need brakes for that.  I have not had much time to work on this build as I have been busy as hell with work, even working saturdays which I rarely do anymore, So if my job slows down a little, Maybe I can get this thing built by BF5, If I do, It will most likely be bare metal as I know for a fact I will not have the time for painting since I have lots of custom parts still to make, such as tank (style) hand shifer, Mid foot controls, Shotgun exhaust, Caliper brackets, & lots more!



Thanks for the updates guys and I really hope all goes well and we get the chance to have a few cold ones over displaying your bikes at Born Free!

1 comment:

the rude wizard said...

Damn I wish I would of known I'm building my own unicorn magic